Are you familiar with the practice of choosing a guiding word for the year? Sort of a mantra or motto on which to focus your energy and your thoughts? In a previous year, I chose “forward.” This year, I choose “nourish.”
- to nurture
- to promote the growth of
- to furnish or sustain
2018 will have its milestones. I have just turned 35. I am entering my second decade of life with AG. I will photograph my 100th wedding. These are milestones of endurance and stability, the bedrock of a happy life. With this foundation, I have the privilege to approach 2018 with the mindset that I have enough and that I am enough. That everything I need is already within (my person, my family, my home, my business), it just needs to be tended.
2018 PERSONAL GOALS
- My biggest goal for the year is both vague and all-encompassing. It’s to practice self-care, and I don’t mean the kind that’s just spending an entire weekend in your pyjamas and never seeing the sun or another human. It’s the keeping a budget, being frugal, paying off debt, going outside daily, doing yoga, meal planning version. #adulting
- Read 24 books and do the Read Harder challenge.
- Finish our bedroom decor (paint the room, get new dressers, probably a new light, reframe and hang prints).
- Cook a recipe from each cookbook. Evergreen goal.
- Be the FREX Grand Champion Knitter! (Haha! On the list for the 5th straight year!)
2018 BUSINESS GOALS
- File my taxes on time. This is completely embarrassing, but while I’m good at paying my taxes (because I pay quarterly instalments), the past two years I’ve been abysmal about filing on time.
- Focus more energy on Instagram: post regularly and use hashtags!
- Submit my work for publication and to competitions.
- Read a photography or business book monthly.
- Virtually attend the Way Up North conference!
Things I am (still) thinking about: outsourcing editing, completely changing gear, mounting some kind of exhibition of work (ugh but what?! I have so much!), and finishing my edits from Peru and Iceland…
What are your goals? Do you have a guiding word for 2018? I’d love to hear about it.